Five tile-layers from Monterrey and the wife of one of them have been here for the past few weeks to work on a house we’re building, and the wife, “Anita,” brought a bunch of groceries because we are feeding them meals while they are here. Some of what she brought was a massive stack of corn tortillas (which they eat with almost every meal). It looked like they may have been homemade, so I carefully chose all the words I needed and asked her if she had made them. I couldn’t figure out why she just looked confused and seemed like she didn’t know how to answer me – until I realized that I had asked her if she had eaten all of those tortillas! Of all the words to mix up…. :)
I also always mix up “te quieres” and “te gustas” (as my sister, GraceAnn, well knows!). I think the other day I may have stuck my foot in my mouth asking a girl if she “wanted” a thing she had when I meant to ask if she “liked” it; I probably sounded like I was asking for her to give me whatever it was! Oopsy. At least the girl was only 7 years old – probably a little less likely to give me her stuff than an older person.
I still make mistakes like that :)
ReplyDelete